Let's go Stangs!
Below is a typical year in the life of a RHS Boys Basketball player (and their parents!). This is a general overview for those new to the program (and a gentle reminder for returning) to help set expectations about the level of commitment for the year and to help your family plan ahead. Always visit RedmondBoysBasketball.com for any updates on practices, links to official games schedule, etc. Coaches will communicate frequently with players all year.
Team tryouts will be held November 13 and 14. Following team announcements on Tuesday evening, we will have a parent meeting on November 16 (time TBD) to provide everyone with more details about the season and year ahead, as well, provide the opportunity to ask questions about the program.
SEPTEMBER to NOVEMBER:
- At the start of the school year, we will begin weight training, conditioning as well as basketball training and open gyms after school. Click HERE to learn more about the 2023-2024 Fall Training Program!
- Tryouts for the upcoming season will be November 13 and 14. All players trying out for Boys Basketball must register and complete all LWSD paperwork to participate in tryouts. Learn more about the registration process. Boys Basketball is a cut sport. After try-outs you have the option to move to a non-cut sport if you do not make the team, again see the registration process.
- Team invitations will be visible on the team website shortly after tryouts are completed.
- Team practices begin November 16. Each team coach will communicate their specific practice time and gym location.
- A Parent meeting will be scheduled for Thursday, November 16.
- Team photos will be Friday, November 17 during practice times - more details to come soon.
- A Team Building Event (all players attend) will take place the first Saturday following team announcements. This is usually an all-day event, ending around 11pm at the RHS Gym.
- Optional gear / Mustang spirit wear orders will also open
- Practices begin will being November 15 following team announcements.
- Practices are 5-6 days a week, late afternoon/evenings during the week; Saturday mornings/afternoons.
- TEAM Study Hall after school before practice (1 time a week/ Coach Rubin’s classroom)
- NO practice THANKSGIVING day but practice on Friday, November 24th
- Games will start the end of November. Please note that players must have 10 practices before they are eligible to participate in the first game. Students must also be in good academic standing
- Go to kingcoatheletics.com for schedule (changes can & will happen)
- Practices will continue Mon-Sat, will work around team game schedules
- Winter School break: Basketball does NOT take this break J
- Practices for ALL teams during the 2 weeks
- NO practice Christmas Eve or Christmas Day
- Varsity – Holiday tournament following Christmas and traditionally requires travel out of state. More information will be shared immediately after team announcements
- JV and C team – We will participate in a Holiday Tournament (played in local HS gyms)
- Possible practice New Year’s Eve and/or New Year’s Day
- Practice week of January 4th
4A LEAGUE PLAY and PLAYOFFS:
- Game schedule continues to the end of January
- End of season banquet mid-February for all players/families
- Varsity team ONLY participates in Playoffs for KINGCO 4A – games begin after last scheduled league game for 4A teams and games can continue for the next 7-10 days depending on win/loss, etc. (first couple weeks of FEBRUARY). Bracket will be posted on Kingco Athletics website.
- REGIONAL PLAYOFFS – 3RD week of February
- STATE PLAYOFFS – last week of February
END OF SEASON - JUNE
- March - May: Open Gyms; Strength and Condition training
- Mid-April - May: Possible spring league games for Varsity
- June: Spring League - C/JV/V League games
- End of June: RHS Boys Team attends Team Summer Camp
- July: RHS Boys volunteer at Jr. Mustangs Basketball Camp
- July-August: Open gyms, self-lead conditioning and practice
- September - November: Open gyms, conditioning